About Dr. Elizabeth Arena
Elizabeth A. Arena, MD., FACS, is double board-certified in General Surgery and Surgical Oncology. Dr. Arena specializes in caring for patients with both benign and malignant diseases of the breast. As one of the first ever American Board Certified Surgical Oncologists, Dr. Arena has specific expertise that make her one of the most esteemed breast surgeons in the greater Los Angeles area.
Dr. Arena is currently the director of the Breast Center at the Surgery Group of Los Angeles. She focuses on the management of benign and malignant diseases of the breast, as well as the treatment of melanoma, endocrine tumors, and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
Area of Interest & Expertise
As a surgical oncologist, Dr. Arena specializes in the surgical treatment of cancer. The most common conditions treated within this specialty include:
- Benign and malignant diseases of the breast
- Endocrine tumors
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
Procedures Performed by Dr. Arena
- Breast surgery for benign tumors
- Breast surgery for malignant tumors
- Skin-sparing and nipple-sparing breast-cancer treatment techniques
- Oncoplastic breast techniques
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy technique
- Excision of melanoma, lymph node dissections
- Excision of soft tissue tumors
- Minimally invasive thyroid and parathyroid techniques
- Minimally invasive surgery for colorectal cancer
- General surgical procedures
- Hernia repair
- Gallbladder surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery
Videos of Dr. Arena
Dr. Elizabeth Arena, Director of the Breast Center at the Surgery Group of Los Angeles, discusses the importance of routine breast cancer screenings. Routine screenings allow for early detection of breast cancer and allow for breast preserving surgical procedures to serve as viable forms of treatment.
Dr. Elizabeth Arena meets with the hosts of Good Morning Lala Land to shed light on breast cancer. At what age should you visit a doctor? What are the main contributors? Watch to find out more.
Education & Medical Training
After receiving her bachelor’s degree from Dartmouth College, Dr. Arena was awarded a medical degree with honors from the New York University School of Medicine. There, her interest in oncology was strengthened when she performed research on human glioblastoma multiforme, an aggressive type of brain cancer. After her M.D., she completed a seven-year general surgery residency at Yale University, where she spent two years of research examining cellular physiology in the colon.
She then moved to Los Angeles to undertake a surgical oncology fellowship, during which she assisted in a broad range of complex surgical oncologic procedures. During her fellowship, she presented her research at several regional and national oncology meetings. Her most recent oral presentation at the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons addressed the differences between demographic groups in breast reconstruction after mastectomy.
She has also conducted research in areas including the optimal surgical management of head and neck melanoma and novel techniques in colon cancer staging; the latter was published in the medical journal Advances In Surgery.
She is affiliated with the American College of Surgeons, Society of Surgical Oncology, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dartmouth College- BA, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
New York University School of Medicine- MD
Yale-New Haven Hospital- General Surgery Resident
Yale University School of Medicine- Post Doctoral Associate
John Wayne Cancer Institute- Surgical Oncology Fellow
Medical Board of California
American Board of Surgery – General Surgery
American Board of Surgery – Complex Surgical Oncology
American College of Surgeons
Society of Surgical Oncology
American Society of Clinical Oncology
Schedule a Consultation
- If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- If you found a lump in your breast, have nipple discharge, or other abnormalities of the breast
- If you have an abnormal finding on breast imaging
- If you have been diagnosed with melanoma
- If you have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer or parathyroid disease
- If you have been diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancer
- If you are seeking minimally invasive surgical options.
- For the most advanced treatment of cancer.
- If you are interested in a second opinion regarding a recent diagnosis.