About Dr. Jason Cohen
Jason Seth Cohen, MD., FACS, is the founder of The Surgery Group of Los Angeles, and Co-Director of The Breast Center at the Surgery Group of Los Angeles. He is a surgical oncologist and general surgeon with expertise in laparoscopy and minimally invasive techniques.
Dr. Cohen’s particular area of interest is tumors of the thyroid and parathyroid glands. He is at the forefront of thyroid cancer treatment and prevention, and treats both benign and malignant tumors of the breast and gastrointestinal tract as well. Additionally, Dr. Cohen is one of the most active Robotic Surgeons in the greater Los Angeles Area.
Dr. Cohen is currently serving his second term on the Cedars-Sinai Medical Executive Committee. He is also the chief Medical Advisor to the Pre-Heathcare Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The program gives undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students the opportunity to shadow him in a variety of environments at the hospital.
His active involvement in a number of notable surgical societies, including the Los Angeles Surgical Society and the American College of Surgeons (where he is a fellow), further confirms his strong standing in the oncological community.
Area of Interest & Expertise
- Benign and malignant diseases of the thyroid and parathyroid
- Breast cancer
- Minimally invasive general surgery
- Robotic (Da Vinci) surgery
Education & Medical Training
After receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting and drawing from the State University of New York (SUNY Binghamton). Dr. Cohen earned his M.D. at SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn, where he also completed his general surgery residency. Upon completing his chief residency year at SUNY, he moved to Los Angeles where he trained as a surgical oncology fellow at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Immediately after finishing his fellowship, Dr. Cohen became the director of the surgical oncology/breast clinic at Cedars-Sinai.
Dr. Cohen views all of his patients as members of his family and treats them accordingly. He emphasizes minimally invasive surgery as a way to provide his patients with a treatment option that reduces both scarring and recovery time. He has written for numerous medical journals and his volunteer efforts have taken him to South America and as far as Africa, where he served as Volunteer House Officer of the Mission Hospital in Kikuyu, Kenya.
BFA, State University of NY at Binghamton
MD, State University of NY, Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Intern in General Surgery, State University of NY, Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Resident in General Surgery, State University of NY, Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Fellowship, Surgical Oncology
Los Angeles Surgical Society
American Society of Clinical Oncology
Society of Surgical Oncology
American College of Surgeons
Schedule a Consultation
- If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- If you have noticed a lump or abnormality in your breast.
- If you suspect a hernia or are experiencing continuous abdominal or groin pain.
- If you have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
- If you have noticed a lump in your neck.
- If you have a goiter.
- If you have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroid and/or recurrent kidney stones.
- If you are seeking minimally invasive surgical options.
- If you are seeking robotic surgery as a treatment option.
- For the most advanced treatment of breast and endocrine cancers.
- If you are interested in a second opinion regarding a recent diagnosis.
Procedures Performed by Dr. Cohen
- Skin and soft tissue surgeries
- Melanoma surgery
- Soft tissue (benign and malignant)
- Abdominal and abdominal wall surgery
- Sarcoma (soft tissue) resection
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Gallbladder surgery
- Spleen surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic general surgery
- Breast surgery for benign tumors
- Breast surgery for malignant tumors
- Oncoplastic breast surgery (breast reconstruction
- Endocrine surgery
- Minimally invasive thyroid surgery
- Minimally invasive parathyroid surgery