About Dr. Joshua D. I. Ellenhorn
Joshua D.I. Ellenhorn, M.D., FACS, is an accomplished, board-certified surgeon with a clinical focus on innovative treatments of breast cancer, gastrointestinal metastases, and other types of cancer. He is the Co-Director of The Breast Center at the Surgery Group of Los Angeles, an accomplished educator, as well, and has been repeatedly recognized nationally for his expertise in surgery.
Dr. Ellenhorn is a respected member of the surgical oncology community. He has given lectures on cancer treatment at prestigious facilities and universities across the country for nearly two decades, and is an active member and fellow of several notable surgical societies. Dr. Ellenhorn served as President of the Los Angeles Surgical Society in 2008, is the holder of two patents, and has been ranked in the top 1% of United States surgeons by U.S. News and World Report since 2011.
Area of Interest & Expertise
Dr. Ellenhorn is a surgical oncologist, which means he specializes in the surgical treatment of cancer. The most common conditions treated within this specialty include:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Pancreatic and gastric cancer
BA, Boston University – Medical Science (Magna Cum Laude)
MD, Boston University School of Medicine – (combined six-year BA/MD program)
Resident – General Surgery, University of Cincinnati Hospital
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Immunology, University of Chicago
Chief Resident – General Surgery, University of Cincinnati Hospital
Surgical Oncology Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Society of Surgical Oncology
Los Angeles Surgical Society (President in 2008)
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
Society of Head and Neck Surgeons
Pacific Coast Surgical Association
American Society of Clinical Oncology
The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
Education & Medical Training
In addition to treating patients with cancer, Dr. Ellenhorn is a medical educator. In addition to his lecture engagements, he has been a Professor of Surgery at City of Hope National Medical Center, and he is currently a Clinical Professor of Surgery at Cedars Sinai Medical Center and an Adjunct Professor at John Wayne Cancer Center.
Dr. Ellenhorn has also been a leader in minimally invasive and robot-assisted surgery for gastrointestinal cancers, as well as in innovative breast-cancer treatments. A published researcher and editorial board member of several surgical journals, he has participated in directing future cancer research, as a peer-review panel member at the National Institutes of Health.
A Los Angeles native, Dr. Ellenhorn earned his bachelor’s and medical degrees at Boston University, after which he completed his residency at the University of Cincinnati Hospital. He then did a two-year research fellowship at the University of Chicago, and then another two-year fellowship in surgical oncology at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
Procedures Performed by Dr. Ellenhorn, M.D
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Breast surgery for benign tumors
- Breast surgery for malignant tumors
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Nipple-sparing breast-cancer treatment techniques
- Head and neck cancer treatment
- Surgery for colorectal cancer
- Pancreatic surgery
- Surgery for anal cancer
- Gastrectomy and lymphadenectomy for gastric cancer
Schedule a Consultation Today
- If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- If you have noticed a lump or abnormality in your breast.
- If you have noticed a lump in your neck.
- If you have been diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancer.
- If you have been diagnosed with colorectal cancer.
- If you have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
- If you are seeking minimally invasive surgical options.
- If you are seeking robotic surgery as a treatment option.
- For the most advanced treatment of breast cancer.
- If you are interested in a second opinion regarding a recent diagnosis.